That is life. And hopefully the goals we have for our lives. It’s layered. Full of big goals, challenges, triumphs, failures, and dreams that can feel as far away as the moon.
While I spend time challenging myself with these 30 day challenges, there are other things that I pursue on a daily basis.
1) I pursue God. With prayer, devotion and worship, I spend and will spend a lifetime in relationship with the one who has saved me.
2) I pursue my husband. A gift and blessing. A human relationship that gives as much as it takes. Almost 20 years in and it is my greatest joy and challenge.
3) I am a mother. Where do I start? This is a defining part of my life. It is who I am and what I do. It will last a lifetime and be my legacy.
4) My ministry. It shapes and molds me. Changes me. Trusting the calling God has for me is a real adventure.
5) My writing. A constant source of struggle. My hearts desire that is easy to put aside out of a fear of failure.
6.) I will qualify for the Boston Marathon. I love running. It is my therapy. My running teaches me the most about who I am and what I am capable of. 6 years ago I traded a 12 year smoking habit for a daily running routine. Running shows me the value of dedication. I don’t think I understood what it meant to truly endure anything for long periods of time until I started this journey. Why? Because today I ran a really great race. I am happy with training right now. I see progress and am feeling strong. Today was just a layer. It wasn’t “the” race. I’m still a long way off. I have been working hard for almost two years. I still have so much work to do. I have failed. I have cried. I’ve experienced triumphs and absolute defeat. And I press on towards the goal.
In all of these layers of life, I am learning an absolute truth. God has a plan for victory. In the book of Jeremiah, it says He has a plan to prosper me. “Prosper!!” My goals and my heart are all in His hands. It’s not a magic potion or luck. It is HIS plan.
I believe He blesses the work of our hands. A great marriage, amazing kids and my ultimate race will not drop out of the heavens into my lap. I must take the journey He has intended for me to live. Prospering may look entirely different than what I expect.
I will press on, with a heart for His kingdom. I will press on, with a heart for His love and people. I will press on, with the gifts He has given. I will press on, with my health and hope for His purpose. And daily I pray that he ignite the fire in me that desires to pursue and persevere through every step.